As I mentioned in this post, I have recently developed a new-found love for wide-legged trousers. I am actually working on drafting up my own pattern for them, and produced a number of versions and toiles, but none of them are quite right just yet. I need the perfect combination of fitted on the waist, with a long rise, skimming the hips – (I really cannot stand trousers that are tight on the hips), and super-wide legged. I am almost there with my pattern, but in the meantime I have been browsing the old interweb for ‘ready made’ trousers.
I saw these Victory Trousers about a year ago on Tara Starlet’s website, and immediately loved the colour. A wonderful warm, light green, which is so unusual to find now-a-days. Recently, they had been reduced from £75 to £29, and to celebrate hitting 10,000 followers on Instagram, Tara Starlet also released a £10 off coupon code to be used site-wide.. including sale items! So, they were only £19, a very purse-friendly price indeed.
Next to decide was which size to buy. I had never brought anything from Tara Starlet, so didn’t really have any comparative knowledge. As I mentioned, I really loathe trousers that sit too tight on the hips and bottom area. Even if they are ‘fitted’ in style, I hate it! I really do not like any items of clothing clinging to my behind area, and often when sewing trousers/pencil skirts for myself, I intentionally make the pattern larger than needed precisely for this reason. So, I decided to size-up and go with a large hip measurement, to ensure that the trousers would definitely be correct across my hips, with a few inches to spare.
Knowing that as I had sized-up, they would be too big on the waist, I knew I would have to carry out various alterations to get them to fit. Had the trousers been £75 (their original price), I would not have ordered them, knowing the amount of alterations I would have to do. But, as they were only £19, I thought it was worth it.
So, the Victory Trousers arrived, and onto the alterations. I carefully removed the waistband and put it to one side. I then unpicked the darts in the front & back, added more to these and re-stitched them into place, being careful to avoid the pockets. I took 1 inch out of each of the 4 darts, so 4 inches in total. I then carefully re-stitched the waistband, removing the excess fabric and ensuring the alignment of the CF & CB were correct.
I was almost done! I then re-hemmed the trousers as they were 3 inches too long, and used the excess fabric to make a little bow for the CF waistband. It just looked too cute not to add once I had made it!
So, after an afternoon of alterations, the trousers fitted! I’m definitely glad I got the larger size and then altered them, as I really feel the hips would have made me uncomfortable in wearing them on the size 8. The trousers have a wonderful wide leg, which I love. The waistband ‘V’ detail is unusual, and does set these trousers apart.
So hurray, another pair of wide legged trousers to add to my wardrobe!
In other news, if you follow me on Instagram, you will have seen I got my hair cut recently. I am still getting used to styling and setting it, but so far I love it! Expect a blog post on that soon.
And, I have finished making my outfit for this year’s Chap Olympiad, which I am so excited about! It’s 1930s; and I used reproduction 1930s fabric to make it up in. I can’t wait to show you all!
Until next time dears x