A few weeks ago; it was my other-half’s birthday, so we met-up with his parents and went out for a birthday lunch. Unfortunately, there were a number of errors involving my ‘main’ gift to Kieren, which meant that we were not able to receive his gift until a week later. I was rather upset about this (more so than Kieren was!); and even though it was not my fault, I still felt terrible about it. But, finally when the gift arrived, he did like it (thank goodness!).
I decided to wear my recent purchase – the Tara Starlet Bow Blouse from the ‘Amore Mexicana’ collaboration with Poppy’s Papercuts. I had spied this a good few weeks back, and really wanted to buy it, but I just knew I could not justify spending the full £65 asking price. This is something that frequently happens when you can sew – you see something you like, but then you think ‘oh, but I could make that myself for a fraction of the cost’. So then you hardly ever actually buy anything ‘off the peg’. But, I am a sucker for a novelty print, and I knew this print was limited edition.
So when it got reduced to half price, I could hardly resist it!
Sidenote – the blouse is now going for £24, with limited sizes available (this information is correct at the time of writing, for readers finding this blog post later on, apologies!)
Another reason I am excited about this print, is I am attending the Handmade Fair in September, and am booked in to do a Papercuts master class with the lady that designed the print on my blouse – Poppy Chancellor herself!
The blouse is a slightly starker white shade than I had thought, although that may be because I am used to wearing cream, rather than white. The print is really colourful and cheering though, I love the birds swooping across it! The sleeves feature a cute puffed detail, with a cuff which brings the gathers together nicely.
I paired it with a linen navy skirt which I made myself from a 1938 pattern. A feature from this pattern which I found odd, but interesting, was whilst the front is made up of 3 panels, the back is just 1 panel cut on the CB, with a dart in each side. I hadn’t actually come across anything like that before, most of my skirt patterns are the same number of panels in the front as in the back (or vice-versa). I find it gives the skirt a very subtle addition of movement in the front at the hem. It’s certainly a feature I shall be keeping an eye out for on any 1930s sewing patterns I newly acquire!
Until next time dears xx