At the end of last year, I won some beautiful Merino jersey fabric from Kat at Sewing Muse (for this dress in the Muse Loves Merino sewing contest). It took me quite a while to decide what to make from it, as the fabric was so special and soft! After looking through my wardrobe, I concluded that I could really do with some stretch knit tops, so I decided to begin there.
Recently I have been reading Tasha’s recent series on Wrap Tops, and whilst wrap tops generally do not suit my figure, I did especially like the ‘faux’ wrap top idea with a high neck line. An example of a pattern which has this style is New Look 6150, which Tasha mentioned in her series.
I chose to make version A from the pattern envelope, a faux wrap top with high neckline and long sleeves. Except, the pattern did seem to have ‘quirks’ in it. Firstly, I already knew that modern patterns tend to have much more ease than vintage patterns, and indeed, from checking the finished garment measurements on the envelope I was right. I made the size 6, but really I think I could have even got away with the size 4. The sleeves turned out to be a weird length too, from the illustration on the envelope it looks like they are supposed to be 3/4 length, but on me they were bracelet length, so I shortened them to make them into 3/4 lengths. I also shortened the entire top, as from reading other blog reviews on this pattern, I was aware that it can turn out extremely long. Now, I do have a long body – but not that long! So I think I shortened it by somewhere around 2inches (I can’t actually remember, but I did mark it on the pattern pieces for next time). Also, the shoulders are rather wide on this pattern, so that is something to take into account for my next version.
Now – the oddest part of all.. the neckline pleat. This part didn’t seem to make much sense to me, so I improvised and did what I thought & that worked out, so hey-ho! Also, I must admit I wasn’t entirely convinced by some of the other instructions detailed with the pattern – the directions for the setting-in of the sleeves was one of those moments. Yes, the method given would work nicely for wovens, but for knit fabrics.. not so much. So at that point I confess I lost faith in some of the instructions and instead relied on my own intuition and knowledge.
Now, moving on to the title of this blog post. Back in the Summer, in the UK there was a TV series which aired called ‘Partners In Crime’. Based on the Tommy & Tuppence Agatha Christie novels, the series starred Jessica Raine and David Walliams. It was set in the 1950s, and Jessica’s character; Tuppence, wore the most fantastic costumes! For a little taster of the costumes, watch this short interview:
Now that my hair is shorter, I am starting to look at different clothing styles and muses, Tuppence from Partners in Crime, and Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina being my most recent inspirations. I love the skirt suits that Tuppence wears, and I think with this outfit I was definitely taking a few style tips from her character!
Coincidentally, my hair set turned out quite 1950s for these pictures, which worked well! Usually when I set my hair I never quite know how it will turn out when I brush it out, but this time it worked perfectly. The front part even cooperated and smoothed itself into a nice ‘faux bangs’ roll, which I bet if I tried to do again, I wouldn’t be able to!
Thank you so much to Kat from Sewing Muse for this beautiful Merino fabric, I have also made a turban and a pencil skirt from it, so expect to see more of it in future!
*Side note – the neckline on my top looks a bit wonky as my silly necklace decided to misbehave and push one side of the V neck to make it look asymmetrical. I didn’t realise this until I got home and looked at the pictures – DOH.
Until next time dears!