Well, we seem to have reached that time of year again – it’s nearly Christmas and the year is rapidly coming to a close. Last year I did a round-up of my favourite sewing projects of 2015, so I thought I would do a little recap of this years sewing.
By the looks of it, I actually completed more garments this year (although for some reason it doesn’t feel that way). The beginning of the year was rather slow, but by April I had signed-up to the Vintage Pledge. Taking part in the Vintage Pledge really gave me some sewing motivation this year, and as a result of this I have challenged myself in new ways. So, without further ado, here are my sewing projects of 2016 *Some items are not included in this list, due to me not getting around to taking pictures of said items*.
Whilst last year I think I only made one dress, this year I have made a total of 6 (1 of which is yet to be photographed).
Now that’s variety for you! Whilst I enjoyed the challenge of the Edwardian dress, I actually am not at all keen on the finished garment.
But, I am proud of myself for persevering with it, and a big part of sewing is learning from your mistakes and analysing what you would do differently next time.
Next year I hope to make some lovely 1930s style skirts cut on the bias, and perhaps even some long skirts too.
Kieren did especially well from my sewing skills this year! I made 3 pairs of trousers for him, one of which required meticulous pattern matching.
I also made one pair of trousers for myself, from an original 1960s pattern. Whilst the fashion of the 1960s is not an era I usually tend to wear, I do love these trousers! I made them pretty much straight after completing my Edwardian dress, and I just love how completely different they are!
Tops & Blouses
I only made one blouse this year, which was from some original vintage fabric I was lucky enough to find.
I also made 2 Gable tops by Jennifer Lauren Handmade, both of which are great for a casual vintage style. In addition to these, I made a few more tops from stretch fabrics too (again, most of which have not been photographed).
I also made the No 5 Arhus top by How to do Fashion – and will be making the No 9 Ronne very soon.
2016 was the year I ventured into the scary world of outerwear, yikes. I started this adventure by taking on the rather involved project of making Kieren a jacket from an original 1940s pattern. Overall, the jacket turned out well, and I am really proud for pushing myself well beyond my comfort zone.
A few months after this, I then made my No 4 London Jacket by How to do Fashion. I absolutely LOVED making this jacket! From the fabric, to the straight-forward construction, this jacket turned-out precisely how I had hoped. By this point, I even included more advanced techniques – I fully lined the jacket, incorporated a back facing with fabric label, inserted shoulder pads, and incorporated pockets in a style I had not previously tried.
So, that is a total of:
- 6 Dresses
- 1 Blouse
- 3 Jersey Tops
- 1 Formal Top
- 2 Jackets
- 4 Trousers
- 3 Skirts
Phew! Of these, I think around 9 count towards my Vintage Pledge, with the others being made from modern patterns.
Next year I shall face perhaps my biggest challenge to date – my wedding dress! Yes, I am planning on making my wedding dress. For me, a shop bought dress just wouldn’t feel right, and of course original vintage holds its appeal. But I just feel that the dress would be so much more special to me if I had made it myself! Of course, I may change my mind and have to eat my words.. So, I anticipate that next year will not contain as many sewing projects, as I shall be focusing on my wedding gown (and subsequently my honeymoon attire too!).
With the strong possibility of this being my last blog post of 2016, may I wish you all a very merry Christmas, and a wonderful New Year!
Until next time dears!